Monday, May 24, 2010

Igor me while I gloat


Forgive me, I'm going to gloat for a moment.

I remember when I announced to the ER staff at one of the Hospitals in Utah that I was going to become a Physician Assistant, several of them laughed. They said that I'd never find work, it was a fad career choice that wouldn't last long and that I'd always be a second class provider. Well... As it turns out, PA's are quickly becoming the "backbone of primary care" and one of the best career choice in America. With the worsening shortage of medical providers, Mid Level Providers like PA's and Nurse Practitioners are filling in and making up the difference. Where once they were an oddity, they are now the mainstream. If you ask around, there is a good chance that your local physician works directly or indirectly with a PA.

If you are unfamiliar with Physician Assistants. Please look around the www.aapa.org website.

I thought I put up a couple of choice news articles about PA's that maybe you'd all like to see.

Here's a good one out of Fayetteville, N.C. Anyone been there before?
http://www.wral.com/lifestyles/healthteam/story/7630696/

Here is one from Forbes. They really like PA's.
http://www.forbes.com/2010/05/19/best-masters-degrees-jobs-l
eadership-careers-education.html?boxes=Homepagechannels

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can gloat all the way to the bank -- I know the PA that's here in garden city is one and one before him was also a PA -- that great news!

Ultimate Poster Child for Optimism said...

GOOD FOR YOU!!!!! Keep up the awesome work!!!
-Heather Litster

Amy said...

Tom you are awesome. We love you and love all that you do for our family. Your PA knowledge has come in handy many times at our house. Thanks